Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Awesome Broccoli Salad Recipe


I love broccoli but I usually like it cooked. Add a creamy salad dressing, cheese and bacon to raw broccoli however - that is a different story. This has become one of my favorite salads - and I am not a salad eater. I found the original recipe on the All Recipes website that you can find by clicking HERE.
The changes I made were adding cheese, replacing almonds for sunflower seeds and not adding as much onion. I find that too much onion makes it too hot and sometimes hard to eat. Just a hint of onion works for me and my family. I have used apple cider vinegar when I haven't had the white wine vinegar. I also don't always add all the dressing as sometimes it is too much. I make this dressing for my coleslaw as well. It is SOOOO good. Here is the recipe:


Ingredients
2 heads fresh broccoli
1/2 a small red onion
4 slices bacon
1/2 cup sunflower seeds 
        3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
  1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Directions
1.Place bacon in a deep skillet and cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Cool and crumble.
2.Cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces and chop the onion into thin bite-size slices. Combine with the bacon, sunflower seeds, cheese and mix well.
3.To prepare the dressing, mix the mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar together until smooth. Stir into the salad, let chill and serve.


Here is the recipe card:
Thanks for looking!

Linked up to...



No comments:

Post a Comment